"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But even the hairs on your head are all numbered. Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows."
Matthew 10:29





Saturday, August 6, 2011

Blessings

I think we have all heard the phrase "count your blessings". Pretty simple, right? Yet, if I'm perfectly honest, I often do not recognize how blessed I really am.

I have developed a terrible habit as of late. It is called complaining. I have become a pro at looking at the glass half empty. Everyone's life looks so much more fabulous than my own and I often feel so justified to have a pity party. I can list many things I do not currently have- my own place, the resources to travel, a boyfriend, the certainty of future plans, that puppy I want so badly...you get the picture. And I whine and groan and pretend to be the martyr. However, the reality is I already have so much.

God has such an interesting way of changing our perspective. The job He has given me this summer has put me in contact with so many individuals who are truly suffering. The things I take for granted every single day- like my physical and mental health, a great home life, and countless friends who care about me- are the things these patients long to experience. I could tell story after story of individuals who do not have family or even a supportive community. These things are simply beautiful ideas that seem unrealistic. There are stories of rejection, abuse, and neglect so terrible it is hard to imagine someone could survive all of that pain and live to tell about it. After experiencing this type of brokenness, it is hard not to come home and marvel at the life I have. I have never felt more grateful for what God has given me.

My life is so rich and full. My family, my friends, and my church are gifts that need to be cherished.


Praise God, from whom all blessings flow;
Praise Him, all creatures here below;
Praise Him above, ye heav'nly host;
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost!

Praise God the Father who's the source;
Praise God the Son who is the course;
Praise God the Spirit who's the flow;
Praise God, our portion here below! 

  







Yes, I am so very blessed. It is all HIM.

1 comment:

  1. Joe's message this morning, the part about those verses with the sparrows- so sweet, made me think of your blog...God thinks of us? He loves us. It's so freeing.
    i love you and that you comment on my blog. thank you.

    ReplyDelete