"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But even the hairs on your head are all numbered. Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows."
Matthew 10:29





Sunday, August 21, 2011

Matters of the Heart

"I adjure you, O daughters of Jerusalem, by the gazelles or the does of the field, that you not stir up or awaken love until it pleases"  Song of Solomon 2:7

"Keep your heart with all vigilance, for from it flow the springs of life"  Proverbs 4:23

“Since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God.”   2 Corinthians 7:1

"If your goal is purity of heart, be prepared to be thought very odd"  Elisabeth Elliot

I've been impacted with the idea recently that who and what we give our hearts to is of the utmost importance to God.

Our hearts are extremely valuable and when they get entangled in wrong relationships and sin it can be detrimental to our spiritual health. This is exactly why God has layed out a foundation for how we should live in His Word- so we could avoid the pain, heartache, and shame that comes as a result of walking outside of His plan. Our hearts are the most valuable thing we can give and God asks that He would be our first love. Anything or anyone that takes His place becomes an idol.

I know my heart is given over to many things. Temptations are real and sin can be relentless. I sometimes doubt that God is enough and that He can meet my every need. But I also know that He won't stop until He has my whole heart. He wants it all and I know I will be restless until I surrender it all.

"Teach me your way, O Lord, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name."  Psalm 86:11

2 comments:

  1. boo my comment got deleted...:( I'll try again later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh basically it was something like- I don't know why it all seems so much clearer when I think of these verses just in the relationship sense- For some reason that right now isn't the hardest thing for me to give over to the Lord, but basically the rest of my life is? But when He's asking for my whole heart- all those things are gonna have to go too!
    anyway, we sang this song in coatesville called "he wants it all" and the lines were like, "He's looking for a child that will love Him- longing for a child who will give Him their all- give it all- He wants it all" and "love me, love me with your whole heart- He wants it all today"
    and I'm realizing- His command "Love the Lord your God with ALL your heart, ALL your soul, ALL your strength and ALL your mind"...demands ALL. And am I willing to give it ALL??
    but He can handle it ALL! But do I really trust Him with it ALL, you know?

    ReplyDelete